It’s a tricky slope for sailing in today’s society, as most numbers of full-seasoned recorded sailors have declined due to the booming emergence of powered speed boats, large yachts for the rich and famous, and fishing boats for leisure activities. Sailing still continues to have an allure and fascination for many, especially for those who set sail for sport–as in a regatta or other sailboat races held across the globe. For instance, sailing reached its peak in the 18th and 19th centuries–commonly referred to as the Age of Sail–where merchant sailing ships were able to travel at speeds that far exceeded those of the newly introduced steamships during that era.
There are many reasons why sailing is so popular, despite the overall numbers throughout the Baby Boomer and Millennial generations showing a decline in sailboat usage, but you have to try it with Jolly Sailing Charters LB.
Here are 8 reasons why sailing remains one of the best sports in the world:
- Peace and quiet – The simple sounds of the wind as it fills the sails or as the ocean water passes underneath the boat; this can be extremely relaxing and centering, which is a perfect antidote to the busyness and stress of today’s modern society.
- The ability to get away from it all – Once you step onto the boat, the chaotic life you’ve been accustomed to fades away. Everything that happens on land begins to be a thing of the past, as your craft pulls away from the harbor. The sailboat becomes the focus, and it’s not so much where you’re sailing to, but the enjoyment and challenge of the adventure itself.
- Time slows down and your inner self gets understood – Chalk this one up to being in the ’emotional’ category, however being on a sailboat presents many mindfully aware moments of clarity. Small moments become more important, any sense of time changes and expands, and there’s a strong sense of meditation and reflection.
- The connection to nature – Being on a sailboat is about the purest form of communing with the natural elements. Whether it’s feeling the wind blow into the sails, or the currents of the water beneath the boat, or wondering how the weather is going to behave for the journey, you can gain a tremendous amount of respect for the natural world. Sailing also happens to be very good for the environment, as you’re not polluting the air or water with engines from a motorized craft.
- A sense of freedom and raw speed – As the boat glides effortlessly across the water, slicing through the waves, the wind filling the sails, this is the epitome of raw speed and a sense of feeling free. It’s exciting, while also giving your life that appreciation for space and time.
- Learn technical skills and hone your expertise – In traditional boating, oftentimes the craft itself does a majority of the work. Yet when you set sail, a level of self-confidence and learning the right skills is vital to sailing success. Each moment on the water can be a different experience, therefore any reaction and situation-handling in challenging times is a sailor’s dream.
- The rewards far outweigh the challenges – Because sailing demands your undivided attention, the sport needs a strong and consistent focus. If you want to be successful on the water and in your boat, you have to understand the dynamics of the wind and any changes that need to be made accordingly, especially if you are in a sailing competition. The rewards are extremely positive in the areas of technical skills and technique refinement.
- It’s a team sport – As a sailor, you can either be solo or have a crew. On the one hand, being alone on the boat can offer moments of clarity and reflection, however, being part of a team offers camaraderie and a sense of trust between all team members. It’s also an opportunity to communicate effectively about the various sailing jobs and roles on the boat, as well as having a deep sense of harmony and laughter between the crew and sailing captain.
The popularity of sailing in today’s modern world depends on effectively understanding the ins and outs of collaboration with both nature and the other people on board the boat. Sailing also gives you a chance to reflect, be peaceful, and upgrade your skills as the challenges on the water deem worthy. In essence, sailing is one of the best sports around.